City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been a crucial crossroads, located at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This ended up being known as the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better place with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being contested between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The present town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration path up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later on, both assisting to discovered a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an important market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That initial colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship space has actually ended up being an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its existing structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a local doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick also became one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln jailed several members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise left from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek freedom. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the injured from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days later on the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Company, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monolith made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise called the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union soldiers pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his father. He became an important marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was critical in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the annual Excellent Frederick Fair, one of the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.